"The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What To Do About It" - Marcia Angell, M.D.
• The pharmaceutical industry claims to be a high-risk business, but year after year, drug companies have higher profits than those in any other industry—by a long shot.
• The industry claims to be innovative, but only a small fraction of its drugs are truly new; most are simply variations on older drugs.
• Contrary to popular belief, big drug companies spend far less on research and development than on marketing.
• The pharmaceutical industry has an iron grip on Congress and the White House. It has the largest lobby in Washington—with more lobbyists than there are elected representatives in Congress—and contributes heavily to political campaigns.
• Drug companies promote diseases to match their drugs. Millions of normal Americans have come to believe that they have dubious or exaggerated ailments like "generalized anxiety disorder," "erectile dysfunction," "PMDD," and "GERD."
• Drug companies have enormous influence over what doctors are taught about drugs and what they prescribe.
• Drug companies have substantial control over clinical trials of their drugs. There is good reason to believe that much of the company-supported research on prescription drugs is biased as a result.
Hardcover, 305 pgs. ($24.95)
Return to Radio Liberty home page