August, 2002

Dear Friend of Radio Liberty,

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: "It might have been!"
John Greenleaf Whittier [1]

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana [2]

"Despite being a government witness, Ms. McVeigh read a letter from her brother claiming that he was a member of a military Special Forces Group involved in criminal activity." [3]

I'm preparing a talk, so Lt. Col. Craig Roberts wrote this month's Radio Liberty letter. A frequent guest on Radio Liberty, Craig is a 26-year veteran of the Tulsa, Oklahoma, police department, a U.S. Marine veteran of the Vietnam War, an internationally published author, and investigative journalist. We are pleased to carry his books. This letter deals with his investigation of the Oklahoma City bombing. If the American people had been allowed to learn the truth about that tragedy, we wouldn't be facing a bloody war with Iraq today.

Shortly before the OKC bombing, Timothy McVeigh wrote his sister and told her: "he was a member of a military Special Forces Group involved in criminal activity." Timothy McVeigh's defense attorney cited the letter during his trial, but the media failed to report the revelation. Why is that important? Because prior to the bombing, Terry Nichols made several trips to Cebu City in the Philippines, the Pacific home of an Islamic terrorist group sponsored by Osama bin Laden. If McVeigh was working for a covert government organization, and Terry Nichols was working with Islamic radicals associated with Osama bin Laden, was someone in our government working with Osama bin Laden at the time?

Bin Laden financed the "Black Hawk Down" ambush of our men in Somalia in October 1993. After the ambush, and the OKC bombing, Sudan offered to turn bin Laden over to Saudi Arabia or the United States. The Clinton administration refused to take him. [4] Why? I will address that issue in future Radio Liberty letters.


1: John Bartlett, Bartlett's Quotations, Little, Brown and Co., 1980, p. 513.
2: Ibid, p. 703.
3: Jim Keith, OKBomb, IllumiNet Press, 1996, p. 183.
4: Yossef Bodansky, Bin Laden, The Man Who Declared War on America, Forum, 1999, p.65-66. See Also: Barton Gellman, "A Missed Opportunity?", The Washington Post National Weekly Edition, October 8-14, 2001, p. 18.

Lt. Colonel Roberts writes:

At exactly 5:05 p.m. on April 21, 1995, my pager began to beep. I was just climbing into my police car for the drive home in Tulsa's five o'clock rush hour traffic from Downtown Airpark, where my office was located, to my home in east Tulsa. I groaned, thinking that it was probably the police dispatcher calling for a late call-out flight to handle a police call somewhere in the city. Even though I had just finished my eight out shift and had just hangared the helicopter, I was the on-call police helicopter pilot until 8:00 p.m., when the night crew arrived for duty.
But checking the number on my pager showed that it was not our dispatcher, but another number that I was familiar with: the number of the local office of the FBI. I wondered if they were trying to request a helicopter for assistance.
When I called, the local Special Agent in Charge answered. I answered in turn, "Craig Roberts here. Someone in your office page me?"
"Yes, Craig. I did. As you know, we've been overwhelmed with our investigation into the bombing in Oklahoma City and I was wondering if you could give us a hand in a few areas."
I knew immediately why the SAC called me, but I waited for him to address the topic. "What can I do?"
"Well, we've got this McVeigh character, and we're sure he's involved. We're looking at the two Nichols brothers now, but other than that we have nothing to go on. We don't know how many are involved, why they did it, or just who these characters are. I thought that with your connections you might dig around and help with the investigation."

Marty knew that I was not only a 25-year-veteran police officer, but also an investigative journalist that had many contacts in the shadow world of intelligence and the military and other areas that the FBI would have few assets in. I basically had contacts the Bureau couldn't even buy. He also had copies of two of my books, Kill Zone: A Sniper Looks at Dealey Plaza and The Medusa File: Crimes and Coverups of the U.S. Government.
"So how do I fit in?" I asked.
"We'd like you to see whatever you could find out about McVeigh and any of his contacts. We want to know who he is, where he's been, especially if he has any Oklahoma contacts, and what he's affiliated with, if anything. Whatever you can dig up about this case would be helpful."
"Okay, Marty, but only if you request me through the Chief's office and I get assigned to assist. The Chief and I are on delicate terms at the moment, as you know, and I don't really need to rock his boat right now."
I was referring to the end of a week-long battle in the press between myself and our Chief of Police regarding a trip I made to Washington, D.C. to testify before Congress on behalf of the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, against the new gun control laws that were coming to a vote regarding so-called "assault weapons" and other anti-Second Amendment actions. I was on vacation, but testified in uniform with six other officers from around the country. Even though I violated no regulations or policies, the Chief was not amused. The following week produced newspaper articles both for and against my activity - some claiming that I was a "loose cannon," and others a "fighter for our Constitutional rights." The end result was a retraction by the Chief that appeared in the last page of the paper on April 19. The reason was that the rest of the paper was dedicated to the breaking stories coming out of Oklahoma City.
Now it was two days after the tragedy at the Alfred P. Murrah federal building and I was being requested by the FBI to help in the case. Five minutes after I hung up the phone it rang. It was the Chief's flunky. "Roberts, the FBI wants you to help them with the Oklahoma City case."
"Does that mean the Chief is authorizing it?" I asked. The guy was no friend of mine, and had done the best he could to hang me out on the Congressional trip to the Chief.
"Yeah, but do it on your own time. Don't let it interfere with your duties." He slammed the phone down.
So began my journey into darkness.

For the next year I called in favors, made calls, traveled, interviewed dozens of people, searched databases, and connected with other investigators - both law enforcement and civilian. During that time I saw the case turn into a mirror image of what happened in Dealey Plaza in 1963. There were so many parallels that it became frightening. There was a "lone nut" assassin, a few shadowy characters in the background, hundreds of false leads, and a total change in the investigation from one that searched out the facts to one that ignored the facts. The local FBI agents were shoved to the side by a mysterious outside team that arrived to take over the investigation, and from that point on I began to see evidence disappear (including the scene of the crime), witnesses intimidated and threatened, reports falsified, and the "investigation" manipulated like a puppet by strings connected directly to Washington.
Even though all of our leads led to Middle Eastern connections, specifically the PLO and illegal Iraqui immigrants, and possibly even into the world of narco-terrorism, that entire end of the investigation was road-blocked by the highest level politicians and bureaucrats in Washington - with the assistance of the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Anti-Defamation League who spent every media minute they could garner to shift the national news (and hence the federal investigation) to everyone in the Right Wing they could point anti-gun fingers at. Never mind the fact that most of our witnesses at the scene saw Middle Eastern males wearing blue jogging suits at the scene, in front of the Murrah Building just before the Ryder truck arrived, or the story of one catching an American Airlines jet to Beirut from the OKC airport an hour after the explosion, then being pulled off his flight in Chicago by the FBI and questioned and let loose, then pulled off the next plane in London and being returned to the U.S., and his baggage being opened in Rome by the carabinieri, who discovered a blue jogging suit (which is what the two men in front of the building were wearing) among other suspicious things, then after being questioned in Washington, D.C. was again released. And there are other Middle Eastern connections and evidence to boot, including eye witnesses that could put a dark-skinned male with McVeigh in the Ryder truck on the way to the crime scene and at the scene. But none of these were followed up on by the FBI, and not one of our suspects, who were identified by witnesses, was picked up and questioned. In fact, Oklahoma City TV Channel 4 (KFOR) reporter Jayna Davis followed the Middle Eastern connection to the point of actually identifying the prime John Doe II suspect and was sued by him for defamation of character! But when the case went to trial, she won, and he has since disappeared.
Six years after the bombing I still turn over a rock or two on this case when new items surface, and I still maintain my old contacts from the investigation that I know I can trust. But I retired from law enforcement one year after the bombing and have only been able to free-lance the investigation to this point. The last action I was involved in was to edit the Oklahoma Bombing Commission bombing report for Charles Key. It is the most accurate work I've seen regarding the two topics that were the targets of the Key investigation: 1) did the government have foreknowledge of the event, and (2) were others besides McVeigh, Nichols, and Fortier involved. In both cases the report shows overwhelming evidence that the answer is "yes."
It was in the weeks leading up to the date set for McVeigh's execution that I was asked by KJSL, a radio station in St. Louis to read the latest book, American Terrorist: Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City Bombing, and comment on its contents. The book allegedly explains in finality that McVeigh, in his own confession, did 90% of the act by himself, and that Nichols and Fortier had only bit parts. But most of all, there is absolutely no one else involved. End of story.
As I attempted to read the book I found myself dog-earing pages to go back to. Each of these pages either contained errors, omissions, or outright lies. It is hard to tell if the authors, Lou Michel and Dan Herbeck, who are reporters for the Buffalo News, are actually writing down what McVeigh allegedly told them, or changed his words, or are working for the government to help put the case to rest. The entire book, in a nutshell, reminded me of Gerald Posner's work of docu-fiction, Case Closed, which was to be the final book on the JFK assassination (Oswald, the lone nut with a gun, did it by himself, to the exclusion of all contradictory evidence).
They say that when you do journalism, you must maintain constant credibility. For if you make too many "errors," your credibility - and your work - will never be respected. It has even reached the point where there are many people who delight in finding errors in others' writings, even if they are minute, just so they can sharpshoot the writer for sport. But there are few works of non-fiction that will pass a total litmus test without a few bones of contention surfacing under the watchful eyes of the purist, but most of these are of little consequence: Ah ha! This guy writes that the 'Marine's jungle boots slogged through the paddies,' and this is supposed to be in August 1965, and everyone knows that in August 1965 the Marines didn't have jungle boots yet, and they weren't issued until November!
Big deal. Does it mean the rest of the author's writing is inaccurate? Not really. But writing does become very suspect when it is riddled with errors and omissions on a consistent basis. This is the case I found to exist within the covers of American Terrorist. And what is more alarming is that this book was written by two experienced journalists who work for a mainstream newspaper and should know how to double and triple check facts and sources.
Though there are several areas that contain errors or omissions, or simply stray from the facts as we know them, I will only discuss two in this article.
First, in the chapter titled "War Hero," which details McVeigh's army days, I found it very enlightening to see the simple explanation that McVeigh simply left the army because he was burnt out and failed to qualify for Special Forces school at Fort Bragg. In this version he failed to pass the physical because he had blisters on his feet and knew he couldn't make the long hikes.
My first mission when I was asked to work the case was to try and track down McVeigh's army status. Our initial report was that he was AWOL from his unit at Fort Riley, Kansas, and had been for quite some time. But it gets better later as we peel open the case.
In the next few days I first began to doubt the news media versions of McVeigh and the bombing. In the New York City mainstream media version, by the end of the second week, McVeigh, with the assistance of Terry Nichols, had constructed a sophisticated truck bomb and delivered it to the front of the Murrah federal building on the anniversary of the final FBI action at Mount Carmel in Waco, Texas, in 1993. Though no FBI offices were in the building, there was an ATF office. And even though the ATF conducted the original raid 51 days before the final conflagration, the actions on Day 51 were all, according to the government version, FBI. McVeigh then attempts to leave the scene and is stopped by Oklahoma State Trooper Charlie Hanger. He is arrested for no license tag and speeding, taken to the Perry jail and booked. Later he is identified as the lone bomber. Case closed.
This version of events from the onset is riddled with omissions. There is not space enough in this issue to go into all of the things that occurred in Day One: however, we will follow McVeigh in what we know he, and his truck, did on Day One later in this article. But first, back to his army days.
Over the first week we received information that McVeigh had left Fort Riley to attend the Special Forces Selection Course at Fort Bragg. Information from Fort Bragg, depending on who one talked to, was that McVeigh did not qualify because his back hurt him, he didn't pass the PT test, his feet hurt, he failed the psychological test, or he dropped out for personal reasons. Take your choice. But if he returned to Fort Riley and "resigned" from the army, as the book states, then why did we receive information that he was absent without leave? Also, enlisted personnel don't resign. They serve their current hitch and decide not to re-enlist. In the version in the book, McVeigh, feeling dejected because of dropping out of SF selection, goes back to Riley, turns down an offer from his battalion commander to be his personal Bradley gunner, and gives up a promising army career by simply saying "goodbye to his friends" and leaving the army "at the end of 1991, driving back to his father's home in Pendleton" (New York). According to the authors, McVeigh was a very dedicated hard-corps, mission-oriented troop. They paint a picture of an individual, who was combat experienced and infantry qualified, who led by example. This is not the profile of a quitter simply because he got a few blisters on his feet.
At that time I was a senior Major in the U.S. Army Reserve, working as an intelligence officer, attached to an Air National Guard fighter squadron. My military career included four years in the active Marine Corps, with a year of that in Vietnam as an infantryman and sniper, and over twenty years, both enlisted and officer, in the National Guard and Army reserve. I knew about the military as well as I knew about police work. No
enlisted personnel, in any branch of the service, were permitted to break their enlistment contract and simply walk away unless there was a family emergency or they were permanently disabled to the point that they could not perform their duties. McVeigh did not fit either of these profiles.
Then, the next time we find McVeigh, he's working as a security guard in Buffalo, New York. Not only that, but he's working for CalSpan, Inc., which handles top-secret government contracts - not exactly a place where one would find a sensitive security job if AWOL from the army.
While there he exhibits what I call the "Fair Play For Cuba" scene. In this, he acts like Lee Harvey Oswald, who was filmed passing out pro-Castro leaflets in New Orleans, which conveniently gave the media the ammo they needed to make him a communist (or in his words, a Marxist). In the world of spooks and spies, this is called "building a legend." A legend is a false background one builds to create a false identity or identity profile for public consumption.
McVeigh did this by passing out copies of The Turner Diaries and ranting about government tyranny, violations of the Constitution, Waco, and joining militias. All of these things are on the short list of threats to the Clinton administration and their global socialist agenda.
Another factor struck me as I was working the McVeigh angle of the case. It appeared to me that he had been "sheep-dipped." Sheepdipping is the term used to turn a military person into a civilian, but in fact they are still in the military with all pay and benefits and date of rank progressing as if they'd never left. Later they are returned to their branch of service, normally with a promotion, and continue their careers. McVeigh's activities, and the army's waffling about his status, indicated that we may be working a sheep-dipped individual. I wrote a report on this and turned it over to my FBI counterpart. As with all the reports I turned in it went into the federal "Black Hole" and I never received any feedback on this angle. The bottom line here is that the authors say McVeigh dropped out of SF school because he had sore feet. This was only one of the excuses we got from Fort Bragg, depending on who we talked to, in April 1995.
The next area of the book that comes under fire is the section where McVeigh builds the bomb and drives solo to Oklahoma City. This section leaves out so many details that if the chapter was a ship and the details were rivets, it would sink upon launching.
In a nutshell, the book alleges that McVeigh told the authors that he began building the "bomb" at Geary Lake by himself, loading 55-gallon drums into the truck, filling them with nitromethane racing fuel and ammonium nitrate, arranging them in a "T" pattern (which is very inefficient as it is not a true shaped charge as taught in the military), adding a booster charge of high explosive, then inserting non-electric blasting caps with cannon fuses from the booster through the wall of the truck to the cab. He cut the fuses so that one would detonate in two minutes, and one in five minutes. (At this point in the book I felt that McVeigh was telling anyone with an explosives background that the story was false for several reasons: he would use dynamite fuse and not "cannon fuse"; he probably would not use fuse at all but would use electric caps with a timer or command detonator to allow for safe escape; or if he used fuse, he'd use enough to allow time to clear the scene - probably 10 or more minutes as no one could open a locked truck to stop the burning fuse anyway).
He then, according to the book, drove by himself to Oklahoma City, through the city from the north until he turned east to position the truck in front of the Murrah Building, and when he arrived, found enough parking space open to park without waiting. He allegedly lit the five-minute fuse a block away using the truck's cigarette lighter, then the two-minute fuse before he pulled into the spot. Then he exited the truck and walked quickly away to an alley, then to his car which he had left three days before more than four blocks away with a note that said "please do not tow" and that the car needed a battery and cable. According to the book, the car was parked several blocks away, in an alley next to a vacant house, and McVeigh had taken the Arizona license tag off the car and stashed it in a storage unit in Herrington, Kansas. McVeigh then allegedly got into the Mercury, which doesn't want to start, and finally gets it rolling toward Kansas.
After leaving Oklahoma City he races north on I-35 until he is spotted by Trooper Hanger, who turns around and stops him for speeding, noting that he has no license tag. The rest is history.
The only problem with this version of the events is that they did not happen. We know exactly what did happen, and have witnesses to prove it in court.

Here is what really happened:

McVeigh and a passenger in the Ryder truck pull over in front of Johnny's Tire Store in Oklahoma City, and McVeigh dismounts the truck. One of the store employees, Mike Morose, approaches McVeigh to see what he needs. McVeigh asks for directions to the Murrah Building, and Morose notes the passenger in the truck, who he later describes as a dark-skinned male with a blue and white ball cap. The ball cap has a front starburst, which later matches that of the Dallas Cowboys. The subject is described as having short, dark, kinky or curly hair and looked "Middle Eastern." Morose saw this person, later dubbed John Doe #2, in profile only. He later assisted the FBI sketch artist which produced the famous JD#2 profile likeness.
McVeigh then climbed back into the truck and proceeded south, then east on 5th street toward the Murrah Building.
At this time there were two Middle Eastern males wearing two jogging suits positioned in front of the main door of the building. They were seen by several employees who entered the building and later reported their presence after the bombing. At 9:00 a.m. Central time, a UPS truck was parked in front of the main doorway. A photograph, allegedly taken by a sheriff's office stake-out car, shows the truck in this position. There was no way the Ryder truck could park. Proof of this would be easy to acquire by simply checking UPS records for that location at that time and date. UPS knows where every truck is at any given time.
McVeigh turns to the curb one block west of the building and parks on the south curb directly across from the small post office located on the northwest corner. There is a one-way street with traffic flow to the east. (This is the intersection where the book states that he stops only for a stoplight and lights the first fuse.)
A witness at the post office, standing in the parking lot, sees McVeigh climb out of the cab of the truck and walk behind the truck to the sidewalk where he "animatedly" talks to a shorter, dark-skinned, dark-haired, young man. John Doe #2 is still in the cab of the truck. (This now has our John Doe count up to five, counting the two Arabs in front of the building.)
When the UPS truck pulled away from the building, McVeigh was waved down to take the parking place now being held by the two characters in the jogging suits. As he pulled to the curb they ran down the sidewalk eastward three parking spaces to a brown GM-make pickup truck parked at a meter. Witnesses describe it as having dark windows and a smoked-plastic bug shield on the front. They leave the scene at a high rate of speed.
Witnesses see McVeigh and John Doe #2 leave the truck and walk quickly across the street to the yellow Mercury, which is parked in a parking space near the sidewalk south of the Journal Records Building - not toward the YMCA and the alley behind as described in the book. McVeigh backs up and they leave north through the parking lot, then east through an alley, almost running over another witness who attempts to get a tag number. He notes the brown Arizona tag hanging by one bolt and later reports it. An all-points bulletin is broadcast by the FBI on the car with the Arizona tag, but the FBI later denies ever doing so (even though we have the tapes and transcript of the broadcast).
There is a series of explosions that go off beginning at 9:03 a.m. Witnesses in the building describe a rumbling and shaking from within the building, then a pause, then a pressure wave blowing the windows out, then an explosion outside. This is the description of a series of shaped charges being detonated in the basement parkade, followed by the truck bomb.
Suffice it to say that there are many other areas in American Terrorist that do not match what actually happened. But the above examples are sufficient to make one point clear - the book is not accurate, and McVeigh did not act alone as the book's authors attempt to portray.
As a professional investigator I can only ask why such a work in fiction would be published just a few weeks before McVeigh's first scheduled execution. And I also cannot help but wonder exactly what first-hand sources the authors used in constructing this tome. As one reads the Acknowledgment section, one who is learned in the case realizes that of the multitude of names mentioned, not one OKC case investigator that I know of is named. The only reference is in the last paragraph which thanks all the judges and police officers in the Buffalo (New York) Police department, and ". . . the cops who cracked the bombing case."
What "cops" are these? FBI? BATF? Neither bureau "cracked" the case. In fact, according to my FBI contacts, thousands of man hours were wasted chasing bad leads and interviewing people who had nothing to do with anything simply to create a volume of paper which would impress the general public. I asked my FBI counterpart, after I could see the case losing momentum in the right directions, if the FBI role was a repeat of Dealey Plaza, 1963, where the so-called investigation was manipulated from Washington and agents were sent hither and yon to spin their wheels and write piles of 302s (reports) just to impersonate a massive investigation. He simply said "yes."
In early May 2001 a Dallas FBI PR spokesman announced to the press that the OKC bombing case was the biggest case ever worked, with more personnel involved and more investigations conducted, and that they followed every lead and left no stone unturned.
It was the biggest case they ever worked, but they left many stones moss covered, even after many of us pointed out that clues and suspects abounded.
As this article was being written the media announced that the FBI had suddenly found thousands of documents that were never provided to the defense lawyers. It is very coincidental that this occurred two days after the resignation of FBI director Louis Freeh - the last of the Clinton/Reno leftovers in the DoJ. Perhaps some of the reports that I wrote, or some of the information provided by such people as Jayna Davis, David Hoffman, Charles Key, Bill Jasper, and others who do not want to be mentioned rests in this massive stack of reports. If so, there is now a huge leak in a dam that is overdue to burst. In any case, the McVeigh execution was delayed for 30 days while the lawyers poured over the documents.
One must ask why the Clinton administration stopped all FBI investigations into a Middle East connection (even though my Israeli Defense Intelligence friend advised me on Day Two that such a connection existed), and why did Nichols make so many trips to Cebu City in the Philippines ( the Pacific home of Islamic terrorism, sponsored by Osama bin Laden). Also, who paid for the trips? And why did the FBI lab fail to detect any large quantity of ammonium nitrate at the scene, and only come up with the size of the ANFO bomb by estimating the damage - four times? And where did the sheriff's office photo of the UPS truck come from - and go to? And what was in the boxes of files taken out of the building by a team of federal agents within a couple of hours of the blast, and why were rescue attempts halted for hours while the files were removed and spirited away? And could the files have been full of information of Mena drug running when Bill Clinton was governor of Arkansas as one anonymous tipster told me the next day? And why was it that my sources gave me reams of information connecting the bombing to high-level Mexican cocaine connections, Mena and Iran/Contra, and all of the reports I wrote in this area were totally ignored by the FBI? (They even told me that my main character in the Mexican connection, one Juan Garcia Abrego, did not even exist - only to discover months later that he was at that time on their Ten Most Wanted list, and was extradited from Mexico one year later!)
And where are the surveillance camera films showing the Ryder truck being parked and who (and how many) got out of it? And why were witnesses coerced into changing their stories? Why were the two grand juries manipulated so brazenly? Why did the Daily Oklahoman and Tulsa World continuously attack Representative Charles Key in dozens of editorials and political cartoons simply because he wanted to form a grand jury to seek out the truth, whatever it was?
So many questions, so few answers.
But one thing we do know, the latest book on the Oklahoma City bombing, American Terrorist, does not have the correct answers.

High-ranking officials knew Islamic extremists were involved in the Oklahoma City bombing, but concealed the information from the American people. Terry Nichols met with Osama bin Laden's associates in the Philippines on several occasions. If that information had come out during Nichols' trial, the public would have recognized the threat of Islamic terrorism.

Radio Liberty is reaching hundreds of new listeners every month, but we must expand our audience further. Last month I stepped out in faith and signed a contract with a network that has 17 radio stations; our programs will be heard there every Saturday at noon. If you can help support the new venture, it will be appreciated. If you would like to get a listing of where Radio Liberty is heard so you can encourage friends or relatives in those areas to listen, please contact us, and we will send you one.

What does the future hold? Are we going to war in Iraq? Why are most people unconcerned about what's happening? Why don't they want to hear the truth? In Proverbs 1, we learn:

5: "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsel. . . .

7: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

What can we do? We can tell others about the spiritual aspect of the battle, warn them what lies ahead, and direct them toward Christ. Those who reject the warning will suffer the consequences, but their blood will not be on our hands.

Thank you for your prayers and support.

Yours in Christ,

Stanley Monteith

Return to Radio Liberty home page