February, 2000

Dear Friend of Radio Liberty:

". . . an enthusiastic crowd . . . came to hear an eyewitness account of the Battle in Seattle. . . . Juan Lopez, a national secretary of the Communist Party . . . placed great emphasis on the leading role of the AFL-CIO in organizing and participating in the coalition of labor, community and environmental forces, which shut down the WTO meetings. . . . He also spoke with pride of the Communist Party's role in Seattle. . . ."
The People's Weekly World, January 29, 2000 [1]

" 'Five days that shook the world,' describes the huge protests in Seattle against the World Trade Organization. . . . The Party participated in the Seattle events, including labor's mass march and rallies. We distributed 10,000 copies of a special issue of the World. Changing America was in the forefront, bringing the protests, live via satellite, to millions every night. Members of the Young Communist League were arrested, along with 500 others, by the rampaging police. . . . Such upsurge in the labor and people's movements argues even more for a bigger, bolder Communist Party. Wherever people are in struggle, we are there. . . ."
Gus Hall, National Chairman CPUSA [2]

Last month I asked five questions about the Battle in Seattle:

(1) Who were the masked men dressed in ninja suits who incited the riots?
(2) What was their intent?
(3) Why didn't the Seattle police arrest them?
(4) When were the Seattle demonstrations planned, and who planned them?
(5) Where did the money come from?

To demonstrate how people were misled about what happened in Seattle, I quoted from an article published in the Wall Street Journal on December 2, three days after the riots began:
". . . law-enforcement authorities couldn't seem to get it right. They failed to safeguard delegates, who couldn't make their way through the mass of demonstrators to the Paramount Theatre for the opening ceremony . . . . They lodged tear gas and pepper spray at non-violent protesters. They stood by as ski-mask-clad vandals dressed in black smashed store windows." [3]

Unsophisticated people reading that article were led to believe that the Seattle police were responsible for the violence because:

(1) They "failed to safeguard delegates" trying to get into the Paramount Theatre on the opening day of the WTO meeting.
(2) They "couldn't seem to get it right," and attacked non-violent protestors with tear gas and pepper spray, which sparked the riots.
(3) After the violence was underway, the police "stood by as ski-mask-clad vandals dressed in black smashed store windows."

If you consider the sequence of events cited, either something was seriously wrong with the way the Seattle police handled the protestors or the Wall Street Journal article misled readers about what actually took place. In my opinion, the latter option is correct. Rather than revealing the truth about what happened, the WSJ article concealed the real cause of the Seattle riots.

Last month I also quoted from the People's Weekly World. Despite the fact that the newspaper is published by the Communist Party, its analysis of the events that led up to the Battle in Seattle was far more accurate than the December 2, Wall Street Journal article. Scott Marshall, a writer for the communist publication, quoted a young woman named Jill who said:

"We don't even know where the guys came from. They were dressed all in black like some kind of crazy ninjas, with their faces covered . . . . They just gave the police all the excuse they needed to gas us. I saw many of our people trying to stop them from trashing the stores and breaking windows. My girlfriend even knocked one of them down to stop him." [4]

The Seattle police didn't start the riots. The ski-masked vandals and other trained activists among the protestors sparked the violent confrontations. Reread the WSJ article. Note how it gives you the impression that the masked men didn't appear until after the riots started. Nothing could be further from the truth. Once the riots were under way, the masked men disappeared into the crowds and were never seen again. [5]

Let me explain the events that led up to the Battle in Seattle. Radio Liberty offers a new audio-tape set which documents what you are about to read. [6]

Several months before the World Trade Organization Conference, the Seattle Police Department learned that a group of trained activists were planning to disrupt the WTO meetings. To prevent them from accomplishing their goal, police officials planned to cordon off the area around the Paramount Theatre and the Conference Center so the activists wouldn't be able to block entry to the meetings. They also planned to have tactical units standing by, ready to intervene. What the police didn't realize was that the highest elected official in their city, Mayor Paul Schell, had different plans. Mayor Schell was a 1960s liberal with strong philosophic ties to the environmental activists who planned to disrupt his city. First, he assured police and city officials that there was no reason for concern because the protestors had assured him there would be no acts of civil disobedience. Then, the night before the riots began, he sponsored a music festival to welcome the demonstrators to Seattle. Finally, he ordered the police not to cordon off the area adjacent to the Paramount Theatre and the Conference Center, and not to interfere with the protestors. [7]

After the riots, when Mayor Schell was asked what went wrong, he replied:

"If we had to do it again, we wouldn't do it any differently . . . . Free speech triumphed." [8]

Early on the morning of November 30, 1999, a group of activists surrounded the Paramount Theatre and the Conference Center. Joan Veon was there, and she described what happened. When she tried to enter the Conference Center, a crowd of angry protestors blocked her way. When she asked a policeman for help, he refused. Shortly thereafter she found herself surrounded by a group of hostile demonstrators. When she broke free from them, she watched other activists trying to start fires in the streets. WTO delegates from foreign nations who tried to enter the Paramount Theatre were pushed, shoved, hassled, and harassed. The police had orders to stand by and do nothing. [9]

As crowds of demonstrators assembled in the streets of Seattle, ski-masked vandals began smashing windows, overturning vehicles, and burning stores. Professional agitators began to inflame the crowds against the WTO and the corporations that support it. McDonald's, The Gap, Nike, Starbucks, and a half dozen other businesses were targeted for attack because of their environmental policies. All of them had their windows broken, and many of them were firebombed and looted. [10]

As time went by, the level of looting increased. Despite repeated requests for permission to stop the violence, Mayor Schell refused to allow the police to intervene until the situation was completely out of control, buildings were engulfed in flames, and disorderly crowds threatened to spread looting to the suburbs. Only then did the Mayor relent and allow the police to deploy their tactical units, but by then it was far too late to avoid the violent confrontations we saw on television. By Tuesday evening, downtown Seattle was a war zone. [11]

Once the confrontations were under way, the activists formed battle lines and hurled rocks, bottles, and taunts at the police. One officer was injured when he was hit on the head with a brick. When the police tried to clear the streets, the activists kicked and spat at them. Many officers stood on the battle line for fourteen hours without food, water, or rest, yet most of them acted responsibly despite repeated efforts to provoke them to violence. Local citizens provided them with food and water because they realized that the police were their only protection from anarchy. [12]

The spectacle that developed was carefully planned and skillfully orchestrated. Some activists brought gas masks, some brought back packs filled with jugs of water to wash tear gas from their eyes, while others brought bandanas to protect their lungs, and conceal their identity. The activists who precipitated the violence were part of a well-trained cadre that was sent to Seattle to disrupt the WTO meetings. They knew exactly what to expect, and how to mobilize the peaceful protestors who went to Seattle to demonstrate against the WTO. The leaders of the activist contingent carried hand-held radios so they could communicate with one another, control the crowds, and warn others when the police were coming.

Most of the peaceful demonstrators were unaware of the trained cadre in their midst, and when the Seattle police began using tear gas, pepper spray, and rubber bullets to clear the streets, many of the peaceful protestors sided with the activists and refused to leave the war zone. That is what the activists intended, and that is how they got peaceful demonstrators to help them disrupt the WTO meetings. [13]

The Governor was forced to mobilize the National Guard, declare a State of Emergency, and establish a curfew. Exactly the same things happened during the Watts riots in the mid-1960s, during the Chicago riots in 1968, and during the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles in the 1990s. Each of those confrontations was instigated by radical activists supported by a cadre of hard-core communists. I know because I have read communist publications for the past 37 years, and in each instance the CPUSA bragged about its involvement in promoting the riots. Many months before the Battle in Seattle, the CPUSA told its supporters to go to the WTO meetings and participate in the demonstrations. On the other hand, none of the confrontations could have taken place without help from other radical groups and highly placed government officials. That is exactly what happened in Seattle. [14]

Let me clarify the reason for the Battle in Seattle. Contrary to what Pat Buchanan, the Spotlight, the Los Angeles Times, the CPUSA, and the Establishment-controlled media claim, the demonstrations were not designed to reduce the strength and influence of the World Trade Organization. Rather they were designed to force the WTO to include representatives from Trade Unions and Environmental Groups in their decision-making process. The real purpose of the confrontations was to strengthen the WTO, and force member nations to bring their labor and environmental laws into alignment with our laws. [15] Should that happen, in Bangladesh where workers make $1.00 a day, the government would be forced to make employers pay workers a minimum wage of $4.00 an hour, and bring their environmental standards up to ours. Such requirements would discourage industrial development in underdeveloped nations, and insure that poverty and malnutrition continue to devastate the inhabitants of third world nations. That is why President Clinton said in his speech to the World Trade Organization:

". . . those who came here to peacefully make their point. . . . I welcome them because I want them to be integrated into the longer-term debate." [16]

If environmental activists and trade unionists are "integrated into the longer-term debate," they will force all WTO member nations to adopt socialism and accept world governance.

When were the Seattle demonstrations planned, and who planned them? In his January newsletter, Tom DeWeese quoted from an article in US News and World Report discussing The Ruckus Society, and Mike Roselle, a self-proclaimed revolutionary. Referring to the camp where the Ruckus Society trains activists for confrontation and anti-government activities, Tom DeWeese wrote:

" (d)espite the focus on 'action' this camp is really not about saving one tree at a time. It's about mass media and public images." One of the leaders of The Ruckus Society is Mike Roselle, an Earth First radical and self-proclaimed revolutionary who, in 1995, said of his violent brand of environmentalism, "this is Jihad, pal. There are no innocent bystanders, because in these desperate hours, bystanders are not innocent. We'll broaden our theater of conflict."

"As of 1995, Roselle claimed to have trained over 1000 American and Canadian youth to commit illegal acts through "civil disobedience." It appears that over the past five years, Roselle and Ruckus have certainly been able to "broaden" the theater of conflict, and have done so with the help of some very powerful forces." [17]

What have the activists accomplished?

March 23, 1997 - in Gardner, Montana, they threw a bucket of bison entrails into the face of U.S. Senator Conrad Burns and Montana Governor Mark Racicot during a public meeting.
October 7, 1997 - they occupied Vermont Senator James Jeffords's office until the police arrived.
October 16, 1997 - they invaded Congressman Frank Riggs office and held it for several hours.
December 2, 1997 - they defaced the front of Congressman Joe Skeen's office in Las Cruces, NM.
October 18, 1998 - the Earth Liberation Front destroyed a new hotel in Vail, Colorado, causing $12 million dollars damage.
June 18, 1999 - Earth First activists smashed windows, destroyed police cars, and threatened the residents of Eugene, Oregon, in preparation for the planned confrontation in Seattle. Since the leaders of Earth First have strong ties to wealthy corporations and government officials, the activists responsible for the violence were neither apprehended nor prosecuted. [18]

According to Tom DeWeese, the eco-terrorist movement is made up of hundreds of loosely networked organizations which are coordinated by Earth First, The Earth Liberation Front, The Ruckus Society, and a number of environmental front organizations. The Ruckus Society has trained over two thousand activists, preparing them for violent confrontations. Mike Roselle from Ruckus has been arrested over 30 times for various acts of terrorism. He has been quoted as saying:

". . . this is Jihad, pal. There are no innocent bystanders, because in these desperate hours, bystanders are not innocent. We'll broaden our theater of conflict." [19]

You can find additional information on The Ruckus Society at their web site, www.ruckus.org.
According to a report issued by the House Resources Committee in October, 1999, White House officials blocked efforts by Oregon officials to prosecute Earth First radicals who terrorized the residents of Eugene for 11 months in 1995. Eco-terrorists have burned buildings, bombed businesses, kidnapped their critics, and terrorized those who oppose them, but because they are protected by highly placed government officials, they are almost never prosecuted for their crimes. The same thing happened in Seattle. Of the 525 people arrested for rioting, smashing windows, burning businesses, and looting, all but forty have been released without punishment, and the charges against the remaining protestors have been reduced to misdemeanors. [20]

Who were the masked men dressed in ninja suits who incited the riots? According to Barry Clausen, the idea of wearing ski masks during confrontations originated with the Zapatistas, a communist revolutionary group that fought against the Mexican government in the mid-1990s. Zapatista soldiers wore ski masks and bandanas to conceal their identity and promote fear among their opponents. The leaders of the eco-terrorist movement adopted that concept after meeting with Zapatista leaders, and began using ski masks during the riot in Eugene on June 18, 1999. Additional information on the meeting between the eco-terrorists and the Zapatistas can be found in my interview with Barry Clausen. [21]

I started this newsletter asking five questions. So far I have answered four. The only remaining question is:

"Where did the money come from?"

Earth First coordinates the activities of eco-terrorist organizations throughout the United States. According to Tom DeWeese, the organization is funded by grants from tax-exempt foundations and large corporations. To prevent the public from learning their source of funding, money is ordinarily laundered through other environmental organizations. Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream company and a number of other wealthy corporations fund the radical environmental movement, but Earth First's most important contributor is Ted Turner's foundation. Turner has funnelled so much money to the eco-terrorists that the Missoula Independent, a pro-Earth First publication, refers to him as "Daddy Greenbucks." Because they have powerful sponsors, the eco-terrorists and Earth First have largely escaped both public scrutiny and prosecution. [22]

As you read about what happened in Seattle, it may appear that we face insurmountable odds, yet I am more encouraged than ever before. People are beginning to realize that something is seriously wrong. Mike McNulty's new video, Waco: A New Revelation, is having an impact, and the Administration fears the public will learn that a Special Forces unit was sent to Waco to kill the women and children in the Davidian Compound. That video is available from Radio Liberty.

Many people now realize that our national sovereignty is being lost, and we are increasingly coming under the control of the United Nations and its ancillary organizations.

There are two new conservative radio networks. I hope to be able to affiliate Radio Liberty with at least one of them.

We now have three new tape sets, One Man Came Home: The Story of Bobby Garwood, MTBE, and The Battle in Seattle. We also have 2 new videos, Sustainable Development, which deals with occultism in America, and The Origin of Wars and Revolutions. In addition, we will soon offer two additional tape sets, What Happened to Hell, and Chemtrails.

Please encourage your friends and acquaintances to listen to our programs on the Internet at www.radioliberty.com. Radio Liberty can be heard three hours every day, and there are 60 archived programs on our web site. The Internet offers an unparalleled opportunity to reach people with the information that Barbara Walters, Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, and Peter Jennings don't want them to hear. We must use it as long as we can. Encourage others to purchase a computer and start listening to our programs.

Last month I concluded my letter with the first three verses of the poem "Columbus." The writer portrayed the fear and uncertainty that Christopher Columbus must have faced as he sailed westward toward previously unchartered waters. Let me end this letter with the last two verses of Joaquin Miller's inspiring poem:

They sailed, they sailed, then spake the mate:
"This mad sea shows his teeth to-night;
He curls his lips, he lies in wait,
With lifted teeth, as if to bite:
Brave Adm'r'l, say but one good word;
What shall we do when hope is gone?"
The words leapt like a leaping sword:
"Sail on! sail on! sail on! and on!"

Then, pale and worn, he kept his deck,
And peered through darkness. Ah, that night
Of all dark nights! And then a speck ---
A light! a light! a light! a light!
It grew, a starlit flag unfurled!
It grew to be Time's burst of dawn.
He gained a world; he gave that world
Its grandest lesson: "On! sail on!" [23]

We have no choice but to continue. Hope is not gone as long as we can continue disseminating the truth. Only God knows where our journey will end, for the future lies in His hands. Thank you for your continued support.

Yours in Christ,

Stanley Monteith, M.D.


1. Roy Rydell, People's Weekly World, Jan 19, 2000, p.2.
2. Gus Hall, Chairman of the Communist Party (CPUSA). Letter sent to supporters, January, 2000. Copies available from Radio Liberty.
3. Rachel Zimmerman, "Police Stumble Despite Months of Preparation," Wall Street Journal, Dec 2, 1999, p. A 8.
4. Scott Marshall, "50,000 March in Seattle Protests," People's Weekly World, December, 4, 1999, p.4.
5. Barry Clausen, Radio Liberty Interview, January 13, 1999, Call 800-544-8927.
6. Four-tape set, The Battle In Seattle, interviews with Barry Clausen, Tom DeWeese, and Donna Z.
7. Barry Clausen, op cit.
8. Wall Street Journal, op cit.
9. Joan Veon, Radio Liberty interview, Dec. 14, 1999.
10. Barry Clausen interview, op cit. Also Donna Z. interview from the tape set The Battle In Seattle: see also the film footage available at Radio Liberty.
11. Barry Clausen interview, op cit.
12. Donna Z. interview, op cit. ibid
13. Barry Clausen, op cit.
14. See the letter from Gus Hall, Chairman of the CPUSA quoted above, op cit.
15. Thomas Eddlem, "Showtime in Seattle," The New American, Jan 3, 2000, pp. 11-13.
16. ibid
17. The DeWeese Report, Volume 6, #1, Jan 2000, p.3, available from 13873 Park Center R #316, Herndon, VA 20171
18. ibid, p. 11: See also The Tom DeWeese Radio Liberty interview. See also Debra Gwartney's articles in the Oregonian, June 16, 19 and 20, 1999.
19. ibid, p.2 See also Tom DeWeese interview.
20. ibid: See also: Sam Howe Verhovek, "Seattle Dropping Most Charges In WTO arrests, Santa Cruz Sentinel, January 5, 2000, A4.
21. Barry Clausen, op cit.
22. The DeWeese Report, op cit, p. 11.
23. Cincinnatus Hiner Miller aka Joaquin Miller, "Columbus," One Hundred and One Famous Poems, Reilly & Lee, 1958, p.38.

Return to Radio Liberty home page